Thursday, October 1, 2009

Show Us Your Life-Baby Gear

This week's installment of Kelly's Korner, "Show Us Your Life" is titled "Show Us Your Baby Gear-what you'd recommend to have or not have". As first time parents registering we thought we had to have everything on the market. As early as the first 2 months we realized our mistake. Lou would hold up an item and ask if I've used it yet...uh no..but I will. *This conversation happened a lot as there are many items and outfits Dominic never used or wore* But here are a few of our MUST haves and Wish we hadn't!
Must Haves:

Boppy Newborn Lounger
The Boppy Newborn Lounger seems to be the most comfy place (other than mom or dad) for a baby to lay (or at least that's what Dominic made it look like). Dominic napped on the lounger until he outgrew it or began to get a bit more mobile in his sleep. The cushion is shaped like a big donut so the baby sits in there safely, allowing for the outer cushion to kinda cradle the baby as they "lounge". I also loved that the cover came off and is easily cleaned.


Chicco Capri Stroller
While searching for umbrella strollers I noticed one similarity amongst the less expensive ones--they are SHORT! I am 5'9'', not an Amazon woman by any means but I just didn't want to be hunched over while Dominic & I strolled around. This Chicco stroller is more expensive than most but was SO worth the money. The stroller itself is very well made, sturdy and easily collapse able. I also love the clip that is attached to the stroller to lock it in the collapsed position. It also comes with a shoulder strap which makes it very travel friendly. This stroller is pretty tall and very comfortable to use. The only negative I have about the stroller probably has more to do with the person pushing it (me) than the stroller itself..but I find that while strolling I hit the back of the stroller often with my feet (dangerous for a Mom who wears flip flops until it snows!) Other than that, I highly recommend the Chicco Capri Stroller.

JJ Cole Essentials Blanket
I love love love this blanket! Besides being super cute visually-it's so practical! This 5x5'', waterproof blanket is a perfect play place at the beach, picnic at the park or as I used it in the winter, as an indoor play mat. The fabric is so easy to clean as well! But I must say, what I like most about this blanket is that it folds up neatly into a messenger bag with strap for convenient transport & storage!!
Wish we hadn't:
Infantino Sling Rider
While registering I looked at this sling which sat in it's box in the closet and imagined getting all my housework done easily with baby Dominic snuggled up close & safe. HAHA..oh if I only knew! Where is the sling now? In it's box, in the closet. I did try it out a couple times but 1)it's extremely hard to get the baby in and out of there comfortably. 2)If you try to use it with a small infant the sling kinda swallows them up. Dominic hated it! 3) If you are trying to use it with a bigger, older infant-it's terrifying! I just didn't trust two Velcro tabs to hold my wriggly baby in there. Dominic would try and pull himself out and move all around..even as an older infant the sling still swallowed him up. I've seen some really neat slings out there and I wish I would have shopped around a little more before choosing this one.


Noggin Nest Head Support
I really don't have anything bad to say about the head rest other than we just never used it. It was too bulky to put in the car seat and didn't fit on the incline to sleep at night. By the way we registered for two because we had all this ideas of where we would use it..Lesson learned.

Diaper Genie
Upon listening to many words of wisdom from our friends who were new parents we decided to NOT get a diaper genie and I will pass this recommendation on to every pregnant woman I see! It was an easy decision-I mean it can only go in one room and I'm pretty sure Dominic doesn't care where he's at when he decides to go! Plus they are expensive and then there's the special bags you have to buy. More trouble than it's worth. We bought the generic scented bags (they're very cheap and come in ridiculous quantities!) and when Dominic has a stinky diaper we just bag it up and wah-lah! Problem solved...and I still have all 3 wishes left! ;)


Thanks for stopping by! :)

4 comments:

Karen At Home Blog said...

Hello, I found your blog via Kelly's Korner so I had to stop by and stay "Hi!" to a fellow Ohioian!

Karen

Nicole and Jared said...

We were looking for an umbrella stroller and that is the same one we were going to buy. Now we will for sure since you like it so much. And about the carrier...we have two and love them both. One is a back pack by Beco and the other is a Peanut Shell sling. I keep the sling in my bag and use it almost everyday with Ava. She absolutely loves it.
Check them out!!

Chartering New Waters said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE Chicco stroller too!

Becca said...

I have to agree with you on the Boppy Newborn Lounger! It's amazing! I love it & Andrew does too!